Registering with AngloINFO is quick and simple and gives you a lot of additional opportunities to benefit from AngloINFO's many services. It's also completely free of charge.Read More...
Bus, Tram and Train Services in Tuscany
Information about the regional and city public transport system, including a list of rail stations and details on where to buy tickets...
The public transport service of the region of Tuscany is managed on a provincial level and each province has a local bus transport company.
ATAM provides urban and suburban bus services in the province of Arezzo.
ATAF manages the bus service network in the province of Florence. Buses cover numerous urban routes between 139 zones. There are also night lines, factory, school and stadium routes and the Volainbus airport shuttle.
- ATAF Customer Services
At: Piazza Stazione
Open: Monday to Friday 07:30-19:30, Saturday 07:30-13:30
Tel: 055 565 0642
Infoline Tel: 800 424 500 (available 06:00-21:00)
- For a list of routes and access to timetable information: Click here
- To view information on tickets, subscriptions and passes: Click here
Florence Urban Tramway
A project is currently underway to build three urban tramway tracks in Florence. The first line opened February 2010; ATAF bus tickets are valid for use on the tram.
- Line 1 (T1): The 7.4-kilometre track runs from Scandicci has 14 stops on the way and ends at Santa Maria Novella
- To see a line map: Click here
- For a complete timetable: Click here (in Italian)
Two more lines are to be opened in time.
- Line 2: A 9-kilometre tramline running from near Peretola airport to Piazza della Libertà via the Novoli district. There are 19 stops on the route. It connects to line A at the train station and line C at Piazza della Libertà.
- Line 3: This route is 4.5 kilometres in length and has 9 stops. Phase one runs Careggi hospital via Rifredi railway station to Statuto railway station. Development of subsequent phases is subject to adequate financing.
Buses in the province of Grosseto are operated by RAMA. Services include urban buses in Grosseto, Castiglione della Pescaia, Follonica, Orbetello and Monte Argentario, Massa Marittima and Manciano, as well as interurban buses and buses in Isola del Giglio.
- RAMA Head Office (in Italian)
At: Via Topazio 12, 58100 Grosseto (GR)
Tel: 0564 475 111 / 0564 475 229 / 0564 454 169
Fax: 0564 456 754
- RAMA Tickets and Information
At: Piazza Marconi, 58100 Grosseto (GR)
Tel: 0564 252 15
Customer Services Tel: 0564 475 223
- For route and timetable information: Click here
- For bus fare information: Click here (PDF in Italian)
- For a list of ticket offices in the province, with contact information: Click here (in Italian)
ATL (Azienda Trasporti Livornese) manages local bus transportation in the province of Livorno.
- A.T.L Customer Services (in Italian)
At: Via Di Franco 13, Livorno (LI)
Tel: 0586 847 408
Information Tel: 800 317 709 (Numero Verde)
Reservations Tel: 800 371 560
Open: Monday to Friday 09:00-13:00 and Tuesday and Thursday 14:30-17:00
ATL services include: urban buses in Livorno, Cecina, Rosignano, Isola d'Elba buses and interurban buses. ATL also operates the Montenero Funicular (La Funicolare di Montenero).
- For information on La Funicolare di Montenero: Click here
Tickets are sold at newsagents, bars, hotels and campsites.
- For a list of tickets vendors in the Livorno area: Click here (in Italian)
The CPT (Compagnia Pisana Trasporti) operates bus services in the Pisa area.
Tel: 800 570 530 / 800 12 773
CLAP operates buses in the province of Lucca, including 310 VAI buses covering urban routes in Lucca and Viareggio, suburban and interurban routes.
- CLAP Customer Services
At: Viale Luporini 895, 55100 Lucca (LU)
Tel: 0583 541 239
Open: Tuesday and Thursday 09:30-12:30
- For the VAIBus website: Click here
- For a list of urban routes: Click here (in Italian)
- For a list of interurban routes: Click here (PDF in Italian)
- To search for ticket points of sale: Click here (select the city from the drop-down menu)
Buses in the province of Massa-Carrara are run by a company called CAT. Services include interurban routes in Carrara and Massa and interurban routes.
- CAT Customer Services
At: Via G. Pietro 2, 54031 Avenza (MS)
Tel: 0585 852 134
CPT (Compagnia Pisana Trasporti) provides urban bus transport in Pisa, Volterra and Pontedera and bus services in the province of Pisa.
- CPT (in Italian)
At: Via A. Bellatalla 1, 56121 Ospedaletto (PI)
Tel: 050 884 111
Information Tel: 800 012 773 (Numero Verde)
Fax: 050 884 284
- For bus route and timetable information: Click here (in Italian)
- For ticket prices: Click here (in Italian)
Buses in the province of Pistoia are run by Copit. Blubus covers urban and suburban routes in Pistoia. There are also bus services in Montagna Pistoiese, Montalbano and Valdinievole, Empolese and from Pistoia to Florence (via Prato).
At: Via Filippo Pacini 47, Pistoia (PT)
Tel: 0573 3630
Numero Verde Tel: 800 277 825
Fax: 0573 364 266
CAP provides urban and intercity bus services in the province of Prato.
- CAP (Customer Services)
At: Piazza Stazione, 59100 Prato (PO)
Open: Monday to Friday 10:00-12:30 and Tuesday and Thursday 14:30-16:30
Tel: 0574 608 235
Fax: 0574 210 38
- For urban route information and maps: Click here (in Italian)
- For information on interurban buses: Click here (in Italian)
- For a list of ticket offices with contact information: Click here (in Italian)
TRAIN operates urban buses in Siena, Colle, Poggibonsi, Certaldo and San Gimignano, as well as interurban services.
At: Strada Statale 73i, 53100 Siena (SI)
Tel: 0577 204 111
- To view route maps: Click here (in Italian)
- For information on where to purchase tickets: Click here (in Italian)
Tickets vary in price depending on the route and where they are purchased. Tickets can be bought at newsagents, bars and other authorised vendors. A single ticket is valid for between 60 and 90 minutes. Books of tickets are also available and are usually sold in quantities of ten. Passengers may also buy tickets on board the bus, but they are often more expensive than when bought in advance.
A choice of annual and monthly season tickets is available in each province. Season tickets entitle the passenger to discounts on the price of individual tickets, as well as discounts at participating shops, language courses and some shows. There several types of season ticket for students, the disabled and pensioners in addition to standard annual season tickets. Weekly, monthly and season tickets must be kept in the personalized holder.
Tickets must be validated before the start of the journey, using the validation machines. These are found within the entrance area of all rail stations and at the rear of buses and trams. Ticket inspectors have the right to demand to see tickets and may fine travellers without a valid ticket.
Long Distance Intercity Bus Service
SITA S.p.A. offers long distance intercity bus services both within and between regions.
- SITA S.p.A.
Tel: 800 570530
Below are the contact details for the main stations in the region:
- Stazione Ferroviaria Santa Maria Novella
At: Piazza Adua, Florence (FI)
Call Centre: 055 235 6120
Lost property: 055 235 2190
- Grosseto Central Station
At: Piazza Guiliemo Marconi, 58100 Grosseto (GR)
Tel: 0566 901 733
- Stazione Centrale
At: Piazza Dante, 57124 Livorno (LI)
Tel: 0586 400 456
- Stazione Centrale
At: Piazzale Bettino Ricasoli, 55100 Lucca (LU)
Tel: 848 888 088
Disabled Passengers Tel: 0583 490 104
- Pisa Centrale
At: Piazza della Stazione, 56125 Pisa (PI)
Tel: 050 917 320
- Montecatini Monsummano Station
At: Piazza Dante, 55100 Pistoia (PT)
Tel: 0572 785 51
- Prato Central Stazione
At: Piazza della Stazione, 59100 Prato (PO)
Tel: 0574 892 021
- Central Station
At: Strada Delle Grondaie 16, 53100 Siena (SI)
Tel: 0577 458 98
The regional train directorate can be contacted at the following address:
- Tuscany Territorial Directorate
At: Viale Spartaco Lavagnini 58, 50123 Florence (FI)
Open: Monday to Friday 09:00-12:00
Tel: 055 235 3937
Fax: 055 235 3953
From the blog, June’s Ramblings from Tuscany
Welcome to all my loyal and new followers, Yes, its freezing cold and when Chianti wines are se... Read more